The course is designed to promote quality malaria management and elimination strategies through accurate microscopy-based malaria diagnostic services.
The Worldwide e-Learning Course on Malaria Microscopy is a self-instructional learning programme for those wishing to strengthen their skills in the laboratory diagnosis of malaria. The course is not intended to replace formal classroom instruction, but provides basic information and practice for learners when classroom instruction is not available, and helps to prepare for classroom-based courses. The course utilises virtual microscopy consistent with WHO standards and was developed by representatives from WHO AFRO, The Global Good Fund/Intellectual Ventures Laboratory (GG/IVL), Ministry of Health Kenya, University of Nairobi, USAMRD-K, the Australian Army Malaria Institute, Amref Health Africa in Kenya and Tanzania, a consultant parasitologist (retired CDC), the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia (UPCH) Peru, and the Asian Collaborative Training Network for Malaria (ACTMalaria) in the Philippines.
To promote quality malaria management and elimination strategies through accurate microscopy-based malaria diagnostic services.
- Trained microscopists wishing to improve their malaria diagnostic skills
- Laboratory staff performing malaria microscopy who would benefit from self-directed refresher training
- Microscopists preparing for future competence assessments in malaria microscopy
Who is eligible
- Working individually
- Working jointly with a colleague or in a group
- Providing the course as a training tool by national malaria control programmes or other institutions
The overall aim of the course is to establish core national and regional experts in malaria microscopy to promote the implementation of quality malaria diagnostic services in Africa.
The objectives of the External Competence Assessment of Malaria Microscopists course are to:
- Objectively and formally assess the competence of malaria microscopists.
- Provide refresher training in all aspects of malaria microscopy based on standardised instruction and revision.
For more details, download this resource material.
Want to enrol or know more about this course? Reach out here